Kevin Harvick would have preferred to win money and Nextel Cup points Saturday night, but he’ll take a million-dollar payday until he resumes racing for real in eight days.
Having gone winless since the Daytona 500, Harvick cherished his victory in the non-points Nextel All-Star Challenge almost as much. This win required less drama than his last-lap pass of Mark Martin nearly three months ago, but it was tense nonetheless as he spent the final 20 laps trying to keep Jimmie Johnson from posting another conquest at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.
Harvick sealed it by denying Johnson’s final bid with three laps left, reversing the order of last year’s finish. It also gave car owner Richard Childress a victory 20 years after the late Dale Earnhardt won here with the famous “pass in the grass” against Bill Elliott.
Martin was third, Jeff Burton fourth and Tony Stewart fifth as Chevy swept the top six spots.
1. Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
2. Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, 80, running
3. Mark Martin, No. 01 Ginn Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
4. Jeff Burton, No. 31 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
5. Tony Stewart, No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
6. Johnny Sauter, No. 70 Haas CNC Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
7. Matt Kenseth, No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, 80, running
8. Ryan Newman, No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge, 80, running
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr., No. 8 Dale Earnhardt Inc. Chevrolet, 80, running
10. Martin Truex Jr., No. 1 Dale Earnhardt Inc. Chevrolet, 80, running
11. Jeff Gordon, No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, 80, running
12. Dale Jarrett, No. 44 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota, 80, running
13. Brian Vickers, No. 83 Team Red Bull Toyota, 80, running
14. Kasey Kahne, No. 9 Evernham Motorsports Dodge, 80, running
15. Greg Biffle, No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, 80, running
16. Kenny Wallace. No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet, 80, running
17. Denny Hamlin, No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Chevrolet, 63, accident
18. Casey Mears, No. 25 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, 63, accident
19. Kurt Busch, No. 2 Penske Racing Dodge, 62, accident
20. Kyle Busch, No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, 62, accident
21. Bobby Labonte, No. 43 Petty Enterprises Dodge, 41, accident